“That’s too muscular for me”
I showed this picture to my sister yesterday. She wanted to see a comparison of me from January and me from now. I’m very private with my close friends and family about my “progress” because I don’t care for their reactions and for some reason, I’m more shy with people I’m close to.
My sister’s reaction is what I expected…That I’m bulky and getting too “manly.” I was also sitting next to her in a dress and she commented how girly I looked at dinner, prior to this conversation.
I know I have muscle. I have more muscle than most people I know, more than any of the women I know in my everyday life. I’m not as muscular as the pictures I see on here all the time, but I have a good amount. I work for the muscle, I lift because I WANT muscles.
I see a lot of people on Tumblr-land write about how lifting won’t “bulk” girls up….
Well, for me, it does. I’m not trying to scare anyone away from lifting weights but it’s the truth. I’m muscular. It also took me over a YEAR to build the muscle I have. I lost over 25 pounds, then gained about 7 pounds of muscle. And I lift heavy. Lifting weights wont make you grow over night.
First off, what is your definition of bulky? (IS BULKY EVEN A REAL WORD…). Bulky isn’t necessarily a bad term for me, it means you have muscle. I bet some of you think I’m bulky.
There are girls here that want to look like Victoria Secret models. “LOOK AT THEM, THEY LIFT
WEIGHTS, SOOOOO TONED.” ok they have nice slim bodies, I’ll gives them that. But if those girls are lifting more than 10 lbs of weight, then they must be starving themselves because if they lifted heavy, they would have much more muscle definition. So let’s stop the bullshit and be honest.
Second, how comfortable will you be if you do start lifting heavy and have muscles? Some will advocate lifting heavy but won’t eat over 1300 calories and will only lift high rep, low weight. It’s almost like they have a fear in becoming that “muscular girl”. People will notice and comment on it a lot. For me the transition happened quickly and I’m still getting used to it. It can be awkward when lifting a box and people stare at your arms. Don’t talk the talk unless you want to walk the walk.
Not everyone has to lift heavy and be muscular. No way. Do what you like and do what you want!!!! Run, dance, bike, swim, do you. I’m never going to be the thin, tall model. I’m never going to be the skinny girl. I’ve been the curvy girl, the sick looking girl, the unhealthy girl.
I’m me now. I don’t define myself by my physique, but it is a part of me, my outer shell. I love what I do and love seeing my body transform and become something I’ve always wanted to be. You can call me manly, muscular, big, but I call myself happy because when I look in the mirror, I like what I see.
- i-was-in-the-shit likes this
- tylerm13 likes this
- thehiddenkitten likes this
- modelmap likes this
- karliewithak likes this
- youre-awful-iloveyou likes this
- girlmeetsmotivation reblogged this from my-healthy-choice and added:
- my-healthy-choice reblogged this from no-more-photoshop
- pretty-fucking-ludicrous likes this
- alisonwong likes this
- itsnotabouthowslowyougo reblogged this from lovetobearunner
- asthmaticgiraffe likes this
- fuckyeahflatstomachs likes this
- sdsunshine1 likes this
- grassglutes reblogged this from flatabsandthighgaps and added:
- grassglutes likes this
- sk1nnym0tivation likes this
- thehoneythief likes this
- concreteabs-bunsofsteel reblogged this from lovetobearunner
- sharleneboieeee likes this
- smallshoes likes this
- piratewisdom likes this
- nilepearl likes this
- seekinghealthy likes this
- seekinghealthy reblogged this from elenagettingfit
- loveeewiiithoutliiimits reblogged this from lovetobearunner and added:
- loveeewiiithoutliiimits likes this
- superficial-wounds likes this
- sevenbabies reblogged this from lovetobearunner and added:
- feistea likes this
- lovetobearunner reblogged this from elenagettingfit
- displeaseddoll reblogged this from elenagettingfit
- no-more-photoshop reblogged this from flatabsandthighgaps
- elenagettingfit reblogged this from flatabsandthighgaps
- flatabsandthighgaps reblogged this from peacefulserenityxhealthylife
- eygetoffmyblog reblogged this from its-about-progress
- rblair21 likes this
- bringingmetoneverland reblogged this from its-about-progress
- facelessmermaid reblogged this from victoriagetsfit
- lifeisvile likes this
- my-very-fitness-journey reblogged this from its-about-progress
- sonderserenities likes this
- getfitt-dontquit reblogged this from tanandtinyy
- tanandtinyy reblogged this from victoriagetsfit
- weightmrbelleville likes this
- victoriagetsfit reblogged this from toujoursameliorer
- alph4 likes this
- derogatori reblogged this from runningtobefree